Student Attendance

Student Attendance

by Katrina Herrera -
Number of replies: 1

I think the eleven Education Success Measures discussed in this chapter do provide very important and valuable information about the quality of education students are receiving and most of the also impact the amount of money spent.  However, I disagree with the authors when they said, "this filter eliminated many 'nice-to-know' variables, such as student attendance.  I do not believe student attendance is just a nice-to-know variable, I feel it is also a very important and valuable measure because without good student attendance, students will not learn the information they need to and the school could loose money due to poor attendance and enrollment.  Therefore I believe this should have been a variable that was considered in this study.  My hypothesis would be that the increase in one-to-one computing may increase student attendance because students will be more engaged in their learning and therefore want to be in school more.

In reply to Katrina Herrera

Re: Student Attendance

by Elva Dillavou -

I completely agree with Ms. Herrera.  Attendance is a strong variable to gauge the success or failure of a school, and should not be dismissed as "just nice-to-know".  Students cannot be successful if they are not in school, and the school loses money when they are not there.  Maybe in the future with one-to-one computing, students will be able to complete assignments and projects from home. Again, I agree with Ms. Herrera's when she stated that the increase in computer use will increase student engagement and therefore want to be in school.