11 success measures

11 success measures

by Jasmine Sharp -
Number of replies: 8

Success measure # 6 is about teacher attendance. I really think that the district needs to work on that issue. It would be fantastic if they brought back an attendance incentive to reduce the cost of subs and also so that the teachers that are here don't have to give up their planning time. What an improvement in morale that could be.

In reply to Jasmine Sharp

Re: 11 success measures

by Deleted user -

I agree that #6 - teacher attendance is very important.  We constantly stress how important student attendance is but sometimes teachers seem to forget this too.  All educators know that there is no replacement for the daily classroom teacher and that, despite their best intentions, subs don't tend to do much meaningful classroom instruction.  I think an incentive for teacher attendance is a great idea.  Right now it is only linked to PD but maybe it should be both?

by Gabriela Carrillo -

Jasmine,

I agree with your commentand something ive been thiking throughout the entire year as well. Its been stressed ALL YEAR LONG that we need to model attendance for our students yet where is the recognition for those of us who have had great attendance.I for one sacrificed attending my own health by setting aside my own medical appointments and all to be there for my kids ( students). Yet i hardly saw any teacher incentives. We also need that motivation smile Sometimes its those small details that make a great difference smile

In reply to Gabriela Carrillo

by Donya Makus -

I agree that this is a big issue and would think that just as with the students incentives to the staff increase attendance would be great.  I also think that if we have to step in and sub during our planning period that we could be rewarded with a small stipend.

In reply to Donya Makus

by Jacqueline Nichols -

Teachers are paid when they sub for another teacher. I prefer not to sub and need that planning time to do all that is required to be an effective teacher.  I have mixed feelings about attendance rewards. Shouldn't teachers and staff be expected to attend everyday without an incentive? It is a profession. Your thoughts? A more professional level salary is warranted.

In reply to Jacqueline Nichols

by Jasmine Sharp -

At my school teacher attendance is not good at all. I didn't miss a single day, except for training, I went home early for one class period only but still I have to sub for those who are out a lot on Fridays and other times but Fridays are the worst days.

by Deleted user -

Jasmine,

I completely agree. I understand that cost is key to all of the 11 success measures but so is student achievement and paying for a sub costs the district money and not having the teacher in the classroom can really impact student performance. The district needs to make teacher attendance incentives. I will be honest; I feel that I earn 4. (something) hours with each pay period and if you don’t use them you loose them, common sense just tells me to use them. I would like to see the district pay out your additional hours to reduce poor teacher attendance.   

In reply to Deleted user

by Gabriela Carrillo -

True! ive been thinking the very same thing. It would be awesome if they rewarded us with paying us back those hours we didnt use up. Great idea!

by Robin McGee -

Thanks for drawing attention to this, Jasmine.  I agree that having to cover for other classes during our planning period is a serious drag on morale.  Plus, it decreases our effectiveness as teachers because we are not able to use the time to re-charge, to plan, to grade or to explore new technological gadgets. It's nice to be compensated for our time, but don't we have to sub "for free" once a pay period or once a month before they begin to pay us for the time?