Co-planning vs. Collaboration

Co-planning vs. Collaboration

by Robin McGee -
Number of replies: 3

I thought it was interesting that Chapter 4 makes a distinction between co-planning and collaboration.  I realized that 90% of what we do during "collaboration" time in grade level subject areas is actually co-planning, which the project defines as "peer learning [that] allows best practices to be shared, practiced, and debriefed."  True collaboration is when teachers "discuss, practice and assess elements of their craft."  I think a lot of teachers may feel rather protective of "their craft" and wary of stepping on the toes of their peers.  Teaching seems to be such an individual endeavor sometimes.  But perhaps we need to get past the notion of our classrooms as closed-door spaces where we we control the show.   Having true collaboration modeled for us would be a good place to start.

In reply to Robin McGee

Re: Co-planning vs. Collaboration

by Becky Schmidt -

This is an interesing question.  I remember when we first started "collaborating" on Wednesdays that we E/LA folks would meet in Mr. Hunter's room (were you there for that?).  We would take turns bringing in student work from a lesson that we had actually completed.  We could see the results of the lesson which helped the teacher who had completed the lesson, but also gave ideas of future lessons to other teachers.  I must say that I miss that type of collaboration...

In reply to Becky Schmidt

by Deleted user -

I have experienced collaboration in a variety of schools and it takes many shapes and forms depending on the school.  The analysis of student work, resulting in the reflection of the lesson taught, with the goal for refining the lesson was what I understood was required.  If indeed that is the case wouldn’t co-planning naturally become a part of the discussion if refinements were needed? Interesting that is divided out in the Project Red survey.   Teachers value their release time and should have input on needs always to improve instruction and increase achievement.   

In reply to Robin McGee

by Beatriz Guzman -

I do remember that we at first were expected to actually collaborate, but i agree with you, we are so afraid of criticism that when it comes to collaborate we feel we need to bring the best and not necessarily something that others might find mediocre.  We have gotten away from collaboration and i don't even feel we do the co-planning sometimes, i feel like is just a meeting to discuss topics that are not necessarly directed to our teaching.