Internet Access at Home

Internet Access at Home

by Katrina Herrera -
Number of replies: 10

In chapter five the authors write, "unfortunately, not all parents have Internet access or a device with which to access the Internet."  I see this as being a very real issue at my school.  Many of my students and parents do not have access to internet and this will make it difficult to really see some of the benefits discussed in this chapter.

I am pleased though that our district is seeking out funds to help families inexpensively obtain internet.  And I am hopeful that the one-to-one initiative will help open up communication between families and the school.

In reply to Katrina Herrera

Re: Internet Access at Home

by Deleted user -

Katrina's comment is correct. We are progressing in trying to provide more access for our parents. As we move further in the 1:1 initiative at 6th grade next year, the need to get everyone connected is so much more crucial.

I know the district is working quickly to make sure support systems are in place as we look for full implementation of the 1:1 in 2012-2013.

by Deleted user -

I agree, katrina, that this is a serious issue for our students.  I did an informal survey last week of students in classes I was teaching and only about half of them have internet at home.  This severely restricts how students can work with technology outside of the classroom.

I think it is naive to assume that all those without internet will just take their kids to wi-fi hotspots.  Some parents are just not that involved or invested in the lives of their kids.  It is sad but true.

The district needs to provide after-hours places in our neighborhoods where students can come and have internet access if needed.  Heck, bring the whole family and get them involved too.  The more the merrier.

by Elva Dillavou -

I think back 10 years ago, and few students had cell phones. I look around now and see how many of our students have cell phones.  Cell phones are expensive, and yet, parents have the money to purchase them.  I am hoping that as the district moves closer to 1:1 computing, parents will begin to see the importance of having Internet at home for student learning.

Our school opened the LRC during the evening for family computer use, early in the school year.  Few parents/students participated; therefore, we no longer open in the evening.  Next year with our incoming 6th graders having a laptop, we will provide that opportunity again for families in the community.  Hopefully, more families will attend.

In reply to Elva Dillavou

by Deleted user -

Elva, evening access to the library is commendable, someone wonderful had to stay, to make tha happen.  Apollo also opened for evening access for other programs.  Apollo  how did that go?? 

by Deleted user -

I agree with Katrina’s statement. It has been said the district is trying to provide laptops and internet assess to families within the district and I hope that they are able to fulfill this promise. It would be in everyone’s best interest and therefore I can not wait to see it happen.   

by Gabriela Carrillo -

I agree with Katrina's post. Not only do we need to have a reliable network, we also need to have the network available out of our schools and  in the community in order for parents to become more involved in their childs expected use of technology.  Elva I also agree with your post, if parents are willing to pay for expensive cell phones to stay in touch with their kids and  improve or increase their communication, families must then be informed and become aware of how they must now help support their children with internet services at home and hopefully be willing to pay for discounted  internet once the district provides that.  This will also entail  educating families on proper usage of laptops for our kids while surfing on the world wide web as well.

In reply to Gabriela Carrillo

by Robin McGee -

Very interesting stuff!  I know that there are some phones that can be used as wifi devices themselves; in other words, if the phone is connected, then you can use a computer and connect to the wifi through the phone.  It would be great if this capability were expanded and reduced in price.  I know a lot of kids in our community use Cricket prepay or pay-as-you-go phones, and it's a benefit I've only seen associated with some of the bigger plans like Verizon and Sprint.  Regarding Elva's post, it will be interesting to see how the 1:1 laptops next year with the sixth graders will impact how many students and families utilize the LRC after school hours -- I was also shocked at how low attendance was.  I'm glad to hear we'll be giving it another go at Sierra.

In reply to Robin McGee

by Becky Schmidt -

Actually I had thought the attendance at the after school lab/library time was fairly good.  When I stopped by once, it seemed fairly busy.  I don't think that I attended every session, nor do I think that the program lastest very long.  I think it takes awhile for something to build momentum and to have people participate.  I also think that it might be used next year more when students may come looking for a hot spot.  I also think using mobile devices to power wi-fi is a great idea and should be mentioned to students.  For example, my husband's droid can be used to create wi-fi for a laptop.  Many students might be unaware of this as an option.

In reply to Gabriela Carrillo

by Beatriz Guzman -

It is true that our parents need to also support their own children by understanding that having access to a laptop and Internet is essential to their children education, but I also feel that we are going to have a hand full of parents that are truly in crisis and that even one dollar may make a big difference in their daily expenses.  I feel that we also need to do a better job at offering opportunities for those that will need to have access from our school i don't feel we do a good job at letting them know that it is a safe place for them to come to use the computer when they feel they need to and we need to make them feel welcome.  I don't think we concentrate on that aspect that much we are so involve in test results that we forget that parent involvement can make a tremendous different in our students behavior and motivation to learn. 

In reply to Beatriz Guzman

by Susan Brown -

I agree.  Most of my students don't have cell phones, electronic devices, and don't wear designer clothing.  While there are some with the Cricket phones and some with internet access, many are struggling with school uniforms, school supplies, keeping a roof over their head with food on the table.  We cannot expect these parents to make the choice between basic life necessities over the educational needs.  Look at Maslov's heirarchy of needs and education is not at the bottom level which is where many of my students and their families are at.