English Language Reading, Writing, and Grammar
1. Wake Up! You're in the Best Class Ever!
Welcome to Room 301! Here, you will improve your English reading, writing and grammar skills. I am so happy to have you in my class and am looking forward to spending time with you. Please let me know if you need help and I will do my best for you.
Here's a simple tip for success in my class: Doing your work + following class procedures = SUCCESS! Pretty easy, right? I am here to help you and my goal is to see you become an outstanding student.
Below is some information that will help you be more comfortable in class, because you will know what you should be doing at all times. Knowledge is power, after all. Please share these documents with your parents.
2. Welcome to English Language Development!
Welcome! Why are you here? Why should you care about using proper grammar? The quality of your writing has a huge influence on the first impression you make on people. It used to be that most first meetings were made face to face; but that's not the case anymore. Just think about it. When you apply to a school, a program, a college, or a job, your first communication is almost always done on line or in writing. Whether we like it or not, people judge us based on how we write and speak. It's true, folks. Taking the time to follow the rules of Standard English in your formal writing and speech allows you to present yourself in the best possible light.
But why is it important to you right now?
If you are learning English as a second language, learning proper grammar will help you speak and write better so that you can pass the AZELLA test. Once you pass AZELLA, you will have access to electives and important classes that you are now missing. If you get to high school and have not passed AZELLA, you will be in another English Language Development block for which you will get no credits towards graduation; and, once again, you will not have access to super cool high school electives. So pass that AZELLA this year!
You are almost bilingual! Once you can use proper English grammar, you will be truly bilingual and will have access to many awesome jobs and activities that require bilingual students and/or employees! You will be awesome!
Have you been absent and missed some of the grammar notes? Have you somehow lost your notes? Following are links to the notes we have taken in our journals.
14. To Be Verbs Is/Am/Are/Was/Were
24. What is a Verb?
Here are some cool websites that we will use from time to time:
3. Grammar Practice & AZELLA Prep
We will use many resources to prepare for the AZELLA test in February and for practicing our grammar concepts. Please click on the blue headings and complete the following activities as your teacher directs you.
Follow the link to practice using directions.
- First, on your lined paper, write or draw the meanings of these directional terms/prepositions to help you answer the questions correctly:
- Next to
- in front of
- Next, answer the true/False questions for Directions 1. Write your quiz score on the bottom of your prepositions paper.
Click on the blue link above. Study the map.
- Find the Family Dollar Store on the map. Draw a map showing how you would get from Sierra to the Family Dollar. Then write the directions down.
- Find the Circle K on the map. Draw a map showing how you would go from Sierra to the Circle K. Then write the directions down.
- Now, tell your neighbor how you would get from your house to Sierra. Write down directions for going from your home to Sierra.
You will need to follow the directions carefully at this site. You will figure out what number the building is that you land on. Write your score on your lined paper.
- Pre-listening Exercise: On lined paper, give examples from the map using each directional term/preposition. For example, "The zoo is across from the police station."
- True/False Questions: Answer the questions and write your score on your lined paper.
6. Directions 3
Study the map before you begin. Listen to the directions by pressing the "PLAY" link. Then choose "TRUE" or "FALSE." Go to the bottom of the page and press the "FINAL SCORE" button.
1. Complete the pre-listening portion of the exercise by using each of the words in a sentence (for example, The parking lot is across from the gym.. Write the sentences on your lined paper.
2. Complete the listening portion by pressing the audio button and listening to the directions. Then press the "TRUE" or "FALSE" button to answer. Press the "FINAL SCORE" button at the bottom of the page. Write your final score on your lined sheet.
1. Complete the pre-listening portion of the exercise by using each of the words in a sentence (see above). Write your sentences on your lined paper.
2. Complete the listening portion by pressing the audio button and listening to the directions. Then press the "TRUE" or "FALSE" to answer. Press "FINAL SCORE" at the bottom of the page. Write your final score on your lined sheet.
a. AZELLA Writing Pratice Open the Google doc and follow along during group/pairs writing practice.
g. Personal Narrative Graphic Organizers
16. Main Idea Quiz 3
17. Main Idea Quiz 4
18 Main Idea Quiz 5. What's the main idea of the passage? It's is what the passage is mostly about. Take the quiz and enter your result in your journal.
e. Advanced Line Match
33. Drawing Conclusions 1 (4 questions)
34. Drawing Conclusions 2 (ne Match10 questions)
35. Drawing Conclusions 3 (4 questions/writing)
39. Alphabetizing 5
44. Sequencing Time
Choose any 5 activities and complete.
52. Cause and Effect 3 (5 questions)
56. Fact or Opinion 2 (30 questions)
57. Fact or Opinion 3 (30 questions)
58. Grammar Gremlins
61. Conjunction Quiz. Scroll down...
65. Passive Voice Quiz Scroll down to the "Quick Test"
66. Find the Subject Quiz. Scroll down to the "Quick Test"
67. Find the Direct Object Quiz. Scroll down to the "Quick Test"
68. Dependent Clause Quiz. Scroll down to the "Quick Test"
69. Independent Clause Quiz. Scroll down to the "Quick Test"
70. Relative Pronoun Quiz. Scroll down to the "Quick Test"
71. Preposition Quiz. Scroll down...
72. Pronoun Quiz. Scroll down...
73. Parts of Speech Quiz. Scroll down...
76. Simple Past Tense Quiz. Scroll down...
92 Adverbs of Frequency Practice 4: Click on the words to put the sentences in correct order.
94. Adverb Quiz. Scroll down...
96. Degree of Adjective Tank Game--Superlatives
99. Adjective Detective
100. Adjective Adventure
101. Adjectives in Sentences--how fast can you rearrange the sentence?
102. Adjective Quiz. Scroll down...
104. Noun Dunk
105. Grammar Blast Nouns
106 Noun Explorer
107. Plural Noun Gulper
109. Noun Quiz. Scroll down...
110. Verb balloons
112. Subject-Verb Mixup
113. Verb Power
114. Verb quiz
115. Verb Jeopardy
117. Catch the Tense
118. Modal Verbs Maze
123. Tackling Tenses Quiz
125. Adjective vs. Adverb
126. Degrees of Adverbs
127. Spot the Adverb
128. Precision Adverb
129. Adverbs Battleship
134. Match the Best How Adverb
136. Adverb Match
139. Adjectives Quick Test (scroll down)
140. Nouns Quick Test (scroll down)
141. Pronouns Quick Test (scroll down)
142. Nouns Quick Test (scroll down)
143. Verbs Quick Test (scroll down)
144. Adverbs Quick Test (scroll down)
145. Prepositions Quick Test **Do the Grammar Hunter and the Quick Test!
146. Conjunctions Quick Test (scroll down)
147 Interjections Quick Test (scroll down)
148. Interjection Quiz. Scroll down...
149. Parts of Speech Review Quick Test: Pass a test and go on to the next. Try the hard test!
150. Past Perfect Tense Practice. Do exercises 2 through 7 and 9.